Maxims of Imam Reza (A.S.)
Compiled By: Syed Zainul Abideen Razavi, Tehran, Iran
One who does not thank his benefactor from the creatures of God is as if
he has actually not thanked the Mighty and Majestic God. (O\'yun
Akhbar ur Reza V.2 P 24)
2. Defence against aggression
God is wrathful over a person who does not fight to defend his house or homeland from aggression. (O\'yun Akhbar ur Reza P 28)
3. Planning with prudence
Planning with prudence safeguards you against regret. (O\'yun Akhbar ur Reza V.2 P 54)
4. Reliance and Betrayal.
A reliable person never betrays you, but the one who betrays you was
wrongly considered by you as reliable. (Bihar al-Anwaar V78 –P.335)
5. Wine prohibited, why?
• God has prohibited wine because:
1. It causes wickedness (perversion).
2. It poisons the mind of its drinker.
3. It prompts him to deny God, the Mighty and the Majestic.
4. It prompts to fabricate lies and accuse God and His messengers.
5. Wine is cause of other sins also, like corruption.
7. Accusing a married woman for adultery.
9. Considering prohibited things as trifling.
Similarly other intoxicating drinks are illegitimate and forbidden
because their effect is like that of wine. ( Wasaele ush Shiah V17,
• Do not associate with a drinker of wine and do not greet him with salaam. (Bihar al-Anwaar Vol 66. P491)
May God’s mercy be on you, be aware that God has prohibited every kind
of gambling and has commanded all people to abstain from it and named it
\"rijs\" and has said: “رجس is an abominable act of Satan so avoid
it.” (as playing chess and dice and other forms of gambling; and dice
(back gammon trictrac) is worse than chess. (Mustadrak al Vasael V2
One who meets a poor Muslim and greets him with Salaam in a manner which
is different from the way he greets a wealthy person, then on the Day
of Resurrection, he shall meet the Mighty and Majestic God and He will
be wrathful against him. (Wasael ush Shiah V8 P442)
8. The Holy Quran
• Mentioning about Quran, one day Imam Reza (AS)
while praising its excellent logic, glory and miraculous systematic
arrangement of its Aayaat said: “Quran is a strong cord of God and a
firm handhold and the best way that leads to paradise and safeguards
against Hell. By rolling of time, it does not become antique and by
excessive recitation, its value is not decreased because it has not been
revealed for any particular period, but rather it provides firm,
convincing proof, and argument forever for all human beings. Falsehood
has no access to it for all times, neither from front nor from behind.
It has been revealed by God, the Wise the Praised. (Bihar al-Anwaar. V92
• Rayyan says: I asked Imam Reza(AS): “what do
you say about Quran?” The Imam said:\" it is the word of God, do not go
beyond the limits of its laws and do not seek guidance from other than
Quran otherwise you will be misguided. (Bihar al-Anwaar. V92 P117)
Note: The Silent Quran is inseparable from the
‘Talking Quran’(Etrat)therefore whenever you speak about Holy Quran it
is inclusive of Etrat and their sunnat as well.
9. Why Fasting?
If it is asked: \"why fasting has been commanded?\"The reply would be:
1. “To make people feel the plight of hunger and thirst
2. To recognize the destitution (hunger and thirst) of the Day of Judgment.
3. The person who observes fast may become God fearing
4. Humbled and meek,
5. self- appraising
7. Patient over whatever one encounters from hunger and thirst.
8. Recompensed with its bounden reward.
9. Curtailment of sensuality.
10. All these will make him a preacher in this world to make people
perform their duties and to guide them regarding the affairs of the
11. And make them feel the severity of hardships of the weak and the meek, who observe fast.
12. The obligatory God-given rights like zakat e fitra may be paid to
them by people from their wealth. (Bihar al-Anwaar. V96 P376)
10. Three accepted with three others (qualities)
1. God the Mighty and Majestic, has commanded three things in
conjunction with three other things. He commanded prayer ‘Salaat’ along
with ‘Zakaat’. One who performs Salaat but does not pay ‘Zakaat’, his
Salaat is not accepted.
Note: Zakaat is purifying contribution; its rate is 2.5%.
Salaat is ritual prayer five times per day at definite times as
explained by the Imams. Morning Evening and Night prayers are recited
loudly and noon and afternoon prayers are recited silently.
2. God has ordained thankfulness to Himself along with thanks to
parents, so if a person does not thank his parents it means he has not
3. God has ordered piety along with kindness to womb relatives, so one
who breaks good relations with his kith and kin, he does not fear God.
(Oyun Akhbare Reza Vol:1 P 258)
• Miserliness, Materialism and Beneficence
1. Miserliness dishonors and disgraces a person.
2. Love of worldly things (luxuries) invites grief and trouble.
3. Beneficence is the best and most valued conduct, i.e. assisting the
afflicted and fulfilling the hope of the hopeful. (Bihar al-Anwaar.
• Avarice, Prejudice, Miserliness
Beware of avarice and prejudice as these two qualities have ruined the previous nations.
Beware of miserliness as it is a disease and calamity which is not found
in a free person nor in a believer. It is a quality of the faithless.
(Bihar al-Anwaar. Vol 78 P346)
Prayer is held in congregation so that, sincerity, monotheism, Islam and
worship of God may be manifested openly in a distinguished manner, and
its demonstration may be a convincing proof for the people of the East
and the West regarding Oneness of God. Also it humiliates the hypocrites
and those who belittle Islam by accepting it for some reason and who
pretend to submit to it. Congregation prayers makes it possible and
legal for people to give witness about the Islam of one another and
people may cooperate for beneficence and piety and prevent numerous sins
forbidden by the Mighty the Majestic God. (Oyun Akhbare Reza Vol:2 P
A person should make himself elegant and fragrant before Salaat. He
should brush his teeth and remove particles of food between his teeth
with a toothpick if his mouth gives bad odor or garlic etc he should eat
parsley (jaffery) or cardamom before visiting the mosque.
• Why Salaat?
“The Salaat\" is for:
1. Recognition of the Mighty and the Majestic God.
2. Denial of all partners (associated with Him by polytheists).
3. Standing before the Omnipotent God with self humiliation and confession (of sins.)
4. Seeking forgiveness for sins in the past.
5. Placing the forehead on the ground and glorifying God five times every day.
6. Remembering God and avoiding negligence and defiance.
7. Instilling awe and fear of God, and humility with longing for seeking
material and spiritual bounties and rebuking whatever is forbidden.
8. Incessant glorification of the Mighty and Majestic God day and night,
so that a person should not forget God, who is his Master, his
Administrator and his Creator where as forgetting God will make him
disobedient and rebellious.
9. Glorification of God and standing of a person before Him is a
deterrent from sins and preventive against many kinds of corruption.
(Bihar al-Anwaar. V82 P 261)
Note: Salaat is ascension for a believer
(momin). Therefore whenever a person performs a salaat he should reached
the throne of God (Arsh) with the speed of thought and see the Fourteen
Masomeen encircling the throne.
12. Do not ridicule yourself
Seven things without seven other things is a sort of mockery.
1. One who seeks forgiveness verbally, without repenting at heart has ridiculed himself.
2. One who implores God for His goodwill but does not strive for it, has ridiculed himself.
3. One who seeks resoluteness, but is not vigilant about it, has ridiculed himself.
4. One who implores God for paradise but is not patient in hardships and troubles has ridiculed himself.
5. One who seeks God\'s protection against hell but does not give up worldly pleasures has ridiculed himself.
6. One who glorifies and remembers God but does not move forward to meet Him has ridiculed himself.
Note: No one can become one with God, as God is
manifest and hidden everywhere like invisible light. Therefore no one
can claim to become one with God.
13. Major sins
God has commanded to abstain from sins .Major sins are:
1. Murdering a person whose murder is prohibited by God.
4. Drinking wine
5. Disobedience to parents
6. Fleeing from Jihad
7. Grabbing the wealth or property of orphans with oppression.
8. Eating the dead
9. Eating or drinking blood
10. Eating the flesh of pig
11. Eating the meat of permitted animals not slaughtered ceremoniously.
12. Usury or charging interest
13. Illegitimate things and food.
15. Fraud in weights and measures
16. Accusing chaste and married women for adultery
17. Sodomy or homosexuality
18. Giving false witness
19. Despondency regarding God’s blessing and compassion
20. Not fearing God\'s trap and artifice.
21. Despair about God\'s mercy
22. Assisting tyrants
23. Agreeing with tyrants
24. False oath (perjury)
25. Withholding the rights of others without any excuse
28. Extravagance and waste
29. Spending lavishly
31. Belittling Hajj
32. Combating against holy guides, appointed by Almighty God
33. To be engaged in fun and revelry
34. Persistence in sins. (Oyun Akhbare Reza Vol:2 P 127)
What they don’t have?
- The miser has no ease and tranquility.
- The jealous has no pleasure and felicity.
- The kings and rulers have no fidelity.
- The liars have no civility. (Bihar al-Anwaar Vol 78 P345)
14. Spreading Knowledge
May God shower His mercy on His servant, who revives our (Ahle Bayt’s)
affair. The narrator asked:\" How should your affair be revived? “The
Imam replied:\"By learning our knowledge and teaching our knowledge to
others. (Wasael ush Shiah V: 18 P102)
15. Womb relatives (Arhaam)
Please your kith and kin even by offering cool drinking water, the best
way for pleasing them is to remove their sufferings from them. (Bihar
al-Anwaar V78 P338)
A generous person is close to God, close to paradise, and close to people. (Oyun Akhbare Reza Vol:2 P 54)
• It is obligatory for a wealthy person to be generous to his family. (Tuhaf al-Uqul. P519)
• Indifference to possessions of people is better than generosity. (Fiqh ur Reza P.367)
Making themselves fragrant with perfume is a tradition and conduct of the holy prophets (A.S).
Cleanliness is an attribute of the holy prophets, peace and blessings of God be upon them.
• Imamat is rein of the religion and disciplined
organization of the Muslims and welfare of the world and honor of the
believers. Truly Imamat is the basis of the progressive Islam and its
lofty branch. Salaat, Fasting, Zakaat, Hajj,and Jehaad attain perfection
with the Imam. Also abundance in Gains and Alms, and approval of the
divine limits and the laws, and security of frontiers and surroundings
is by virtue of the Imam. (Usul Kaafi V 1 P 200)
• Do not give up good deeds, endeavor in devotion
and worship relying on love of Mohammad\'s house folk. (Bihar al-Anwaar
Vol 78 P347)
19. The Medicine of Imam Reza (A.S.)
20. A Supplication by Imam Reza (A.S.)
Many mental and spiritual illnesses arise from worry, grief, loneliness,
nervous tension and fear; these disturbances also lead to physical
diseases and necessitate treatment of both body and soul at the same
time. The fourteen sinless personalities have comprehensive knowledge of
the entire Book of God and its hidden secrets. They have instructed
recitation of certain invocations and Aayaat of Quran for purification
of a diseased soul when it suffers from psychological ailments.
The Aayat of the holy Quran, Names of God, invocations and the number of
times they should be recited to achieve the desired purpose have been
instructed by the Imams. It is worth memorizing all these names of God
and invocations. Surah-e-Hamd and Aayatal Kursi are well-known for their
Imam Ali (A.S) has said: “Human body is a big
complex world and man himself is responsible for his disease and that
human body provides medicine from within.
Man is not conscious about wonderful power of his body to combat all
diseases by virtue of the immune system, lymphatic glands, and
antibodies existing within his body which can mysteriously cure
God has revealed in the holy Quran, “ And We sent down in the Quran that which is a Cure and Mercy for the believers (Isra:82)
There are similar statements in Surah Yunus :52 and in Surah Fussilat Aayat: 14.
In Duae Kumayl, we pray to God: “O the One whose name is medicine and whose glorification is cure….
Recitation of sublime names of God and imploring God through His
messengers, His nominated Imams, His angels and His honored servants
with all humility and submission and with firm reliance in God can
miraculously cure a person of his illness by command of God , Who can
even change the hour of death when doctors have little hope of survival
of their patient.
Imam Reza (A.S) has said: “If one of you falls ill, let him permit the
visitors to call on him, for the prayers of each one of them will be
He also said: the people who visit the patient should be lovers and followers of the fourteen sinless personalities.
Prayers of parents and relatives are answered soon and God has given permission for intercession (Surah 2: Ayah 255).
Ayatullah al U’zma Sayyid Burujerdi (Q.S) had approved publishing Tibb
ul A’immah compiled by the sons of Bistam, who was a companion of the
sixth and the seventh Imams.
Tibbol A’imma has been translated into English from Arabic in the Oxford University and is now available for readers.
Here Tibbe Reza may be mentioned in brief: Imam Reza was asked by Mamoon to write for him a manuscript on Tibb-e-Sunnati (Traditional Medicine).
Imam Reza (AS) has written a detailed treatise on medicine became famous
as Risalah-e-Dhahabiyah (The Golden Treatise on Medicine) and have
mentioned that health of a person is based on balancing the four humors
(Ikhlaat)in the body viz 1.Phlegm(Balgham)2. Yellow bile(Safra)3.Blood
(Damm)and 4.Black bile(Sauda)
The liver plays an important role in producing and maintaining the
required proportion of these humors in every individual and a person
becomes sick when the proportion of these humors is upset. Proper food
and traditional medicine may be used for treating these humors.
Imam Reza (A.S) has mentioned a prescription to cleanse phlegm and make
the breath fragrant and to strengthen the teeth as well. He has
mentioned a remedy for jaundice as well and for strengthening the
A person complained to Imam (A.S) about severe cold in his head which
almost makes him faint. The Imam wrote to him to inhale ambergris (a
perfume like musk) and raziqi jasmine after eating food. The person was
cured by this aroma therapy.
Imam Reza (A.S) had also prescribed a drink for Ma’moon which is very
strengthening but without intoxication and ebreity of the prohibited
wines, which poison a person’s wisdom and make him commit sins and
crimes in disobedience to God. This drink is made from Mawiz (brown
raisins). Details of making the drink are available in books.
Once Imam Reza (AS) said: “If that person was messaged he wouldn’t have died.
This proves that death is of two kinds, evitable and inevitable. When a
person can avoid death by different means such as medicine, massage,
sadaqa, alms, prayers etc, he should not neglect treatment. Inevitable
death becomes avoidable only by the will of the God who has given long
lives to Hazrat Khidr, Jesus (AS), and Imam Mahdi (AF) peace be upon all
By the name of God.
May God’s blessings be upon Muhammad (SAWA) and his descendants (AS).
I entrust my affair to God. Indeed God is perceiving His servants.
So God protected them from the evils which they contrive
There is no god except You, You are Immaculate.
God suffices us and He is the best pleader
So they returned with God’s blessings and grace.
They are untouched by evil.
Whatever God wishes(it happens.)
There is no might and no power except with God.
Whatever God wishes not whatever the people wish.
Whatever God wishes even though people may dislike it.
Sufficient for me is the Lord among all the be-lorded ones.
Sufficient for me is the Creator among all the created ones.
Sufficient for me is the Sustainer among all the sustained ones.
Sufficient for me is God, the Lord of all inhabitants of the world.
Sufficient for me is He who suffices me,
Sufficient for me is the One whose sufficiency never fails.
Sufficient for me is the One, Whose sufficiency for me never failed ever since I existed.
Sufficient for me is God. (There is no god but He, On Him I do rely
And He is the Lord of the Exalted Throne (Arsh).